Beautiful plants and flowers add to the splash of colours in the garden. They are an important part of the ecosystem as they are edible and perfect for attracting beneficial insects and flies that help in pollination. They also provide a nutritious food source for bees and pollinators who produce one-third of the total food we consume.
Some of the best plants and flowers that can act as the best source for bees and pollinators to pollinate are:
1. DaisyDaisy, specifically, Shasta daisies are a perfect combination of white and yellow colours that can attract helpful flyers who are involved in the pollinating process. Daisy comes in beautiful vibrant colours such as pink, yellow, and more, making them prime bee and pollinator attractors.
2. DandelionDandelions are one of the prettiest flowers that have an appealing bright yellow colour to attract bees and pollinators. They start blooming in the early spring season and grow throughout the summer season. With their long blooming season, they are a perfect source of food for bees and pollinators. Though gardeners may not always like their growth, pollinators tend to be fond of them.
3. LavenderLavender is not a herb or flower but a perennial plant that is a must-have in the garden for attracting bees and pollinators. It can ward off disease-causing insects such as flies, mosquitoes, and fleas. It has a pleasant smell that can be dried and used for providing a great fragrance to your home.
4. MarigoldMarigold is a brightly coloured flower that is edible and grows annually. It is one of the flowers for bees and other pollinators such as moths, flies, and butterflies. Apart from attracting tiny visitors, marigold is also known for its soil-enhancement properties. Its roots can help discard any soil-harming insects or nematodes that usually destroy tomatoes or other vegetables. You can try the “Chameleon” variety if you want a combination of different colours, including yellow, orange, red, and gold.
5. SunflowerSunflower is one of the most beautiful flowers that can attract insects and birds easily. It forms an excellent “home” for different “visitors” such as bees, insects, and birds that play a vital role in pollination. Also, their cheery colour can act as a magnet for many forms of wildlife.
6. SnapdragonSnapdragon is the ultimate attractor for bees and pollinators due to its colour, scent, and physical form. It emits a soothing smell all day long, making it perfect for attracting and fulfilling the needs of bees. Its blue, yellow, and ultraviolet colours are such arranged that they prove irresistible for pollinators. The petals of the unique bell-shaped snapdragon make it perfect for the bees to buzz around.